Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Argent

[Old draft : 21/04/08 : Do not take time references seriously.]

As a kid, I used to have this great fascination for charm bracelets. It would be the only part of the then-tomboy me that really pleased my mum. She's always been this stickler for looking glamorous/pretty [and in recent times - ravishing :P] and seeing me look wistfully at those thin silver chains made her way happier than seeing me muck around in the mud playing football with the guys.

You can't blame me : I was in love with the concept and still am - getting a plaid little bracelet and putting one charm on it every birthday to commemorate the year gone by. Like collecting time in a vial, and offloading a year's worth of memories into an intricate piece of argent. And having it around your wrist to gift a sudden unconscious smile at an inadvertent glance.

Yesterday, I went to Karol Bagh, probably after two years. Strange how fleetingly perspective stays, as does childish excitement. As I walk through the dingy lanes, I see huge, 20 feet+ banners put up by jewelers, clothes shops, car mechanics, and er..pakodawallas. I know this place vaguely. I recognize names. Bu the facades evade me. My mum's talking to me, unaware I'm lost. I catch an exasperated sigh, and she steers me to a dilapidated staircase with a survivingly familiar stench. And suddenly, I'm the exuberant 9 year old again, the one who wanted an anchor on her charm bracelet, because her favorite restaurant had a sea voyage theme. I look at mum incredulously, and she says, " I thought you'd like a new one, in lieu of the old that broke." I gape, and then I grin, in a broken sort of way.
An hour later, I'm catching the sun in the story woven around my wrist. There's a miniature convertible, hanging for the Britain trip where my dad drove us around, trying his darnest to unlearn standard Delhi honking routines. There's a tiny hairbrush - "Since I nag you enough about your hair." A sole stilleto - " A reminder that beauty with brains includes beauty, and that is NOT chortling around with mud streaks on your face," and a traveling hat [for the vacation to Singa, Malaysia and Thailand, where my sister and I fooled around wearing touristy hats and orange paper umbrellas] glint gleefully. So does a little beer bottle crown - "Papa, Vasu!" she says, not realizing that my dad hates beer. ["Plus, it'll be you soon enough."]

We're walking back, and the streets are lit up, barely recognizable. Bright and agog, this could be anywhere. Unfamiliar faces, unchartered paths; and storehouses of memories might be locked inside the cupboards of those shops, tightly bolted- away from my sight. I'm beginning to wonder if this is the place I once knew, when I see another mirror. The corner park, and the tree I used to climb, fighting for sole rights to the top most branch. The by lanes are still filled with shady characters and swirls of smoke. And at the back of my cupboard, lies a charm bracelet with an anchor dangling from it lopsidedly. Broken, but yet quite whole.

14 comments:

The Keeper of the Keys said...

What a beautiful post!!!
I want a charm bracelet too!
(though i've no clue what they are, i get a vague idea.)
haven't been to karol bagh since a long time.
*scribbles in to-do list*

ishmeet said...

Nice post, and an even better idea to keep your memories close. Your entire Karol Bagh explanation now makes me miss it. My mamu lives there so I've been there quite a few times. And once I bought this huge keyboard from the dingiest shop I could ever imagine. I was so sure that it wasn't gonna work but it did in the end. And I never really got to play it afterwards. Yesterday I saw Rang De Basanti for the nth time and that made me want to visit the India Gate. Darn, I really should visit Delhi once in the near future.

Disha said...

Ohhh. I liked your writing style in this one :) I understood everything too!
I got a charm bracelet too! And guess what, it broke :(

It took me ages to find one.
Sigh. Anyway, I told you you're always too busy, na?
Take out some time! To go to Karol Bagh, to go travelling, to do what you like :)
You're always telling me to relax, but what happens when it comes to you?
You like overworking yourself and it scares me :|
Get rest, soon.
Okay?
:)

L@$H@ said...

i dont really know what a charm bracelet meand, but still, I kind of liked the post.
Atleast it didnt confuse me!!

And the writing style was superb this time!
:)

kika said...

Nice post. You ended it pretty nicely.
I'm not into all the charm bracelets and all but that's a long story and not relevant...
BTW, u dead or something? Not commenting and stuff...

¶ЯёŖηΛ said...

I think I'll get a charm bracelet after reading this too.:)

Radhika Saxena said...

Now I really don't know why,but I could actually picture a nine year old Vasudha and Aunty walking through the streets of Karol Bagh! :P

Reema said...

Wow! a charm bracelet..i had heard it before but didnt know this concept behind it. Or is it ur perception of a charm bracelet? Nice idea!!

Sneezy Melon said...

Great Post! Dammit! I wanna move somewhere else, forget everything, come back and be nostalgic! Dammit!

Aanchal. said...

Hey!
I liked it!
And is that bracelate the one you showed us in school?

I loved the stilletoe!
:D
And yeah, you did put it well.
:]

Vasudha said...

KotK : Yeah, visit the place. Though you might be a tad disappointed. :/
Aww, get one! I was thinking of getting one for each of my friends on their birthday, with one charm from everyone's side. :)

Ishmeet : Oh, good to know. Did you buy it from Gaffar? The stuff is pretty dicey always. You're brave for still buying that keyboard. :| You should, and go to Chandni Chowk too. The place is great! :D

Lasha : Um, I'll show you mine once we get back to school, okay? And you mean the posts usually confuse you? :|
PS : Meeting on 30th, if you'll be back by then.

Kika : Not dead man, just been rushing around a bit. Plus, my compy was messed up big time. No more MIA now. =)

Prerna : I'll come along when you do. :D

Rad : Haha, seriously?! And you remember what my mum looks like? Some memory. :/ :P

Reema : Its pretty much the concept behind it. One charm for every year. Something that'll signify one major event that happened. Since I had to compensate for some years' worth, I adapted it to my needs. :)
Thanks for dropping by!

Sneezy Melon : Haha! Visiting old classrooms works as well too.

Aanchal : Yup, same bracelet. The stiletto fell off somewhere. :( And thanks. :)

Disha said...

Hey.. You know I was here too..

Vasudha said...

Dish :
Jeez, I'm so sorry. I have no idea how I missed yours. :| Damn.

And in reply, you never told me you had one! :o
I did. Chandni Chowk, remember? :)
I'm not overworking myself, honest. And Gtalk tells me you're listening to Sligh's cover of Endless Love. Thought you didn't like it. :P

And you mean you usually don't understand everything either? :(

Disha said...

Um.. To say the truth, no, not everything. :| Its just that you write so well and my vocab ain't that good. :| Anyway, I bought one from here, charm bracelet ie and it broke already.
Shucks.
Sigh, I meant MORE relaxation than a Chandni Chowk trip, arse.
Gtalk is stupid.

Talk to you soon :)

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com