Thursday, November 9, 2006

And then you expect us to be sane??!!

Its always been a universally accepted fact that the CBSE has never exactly been......well.....normal.I mean, look at the syllabus for instance.The same poem we did last year is there in the Orient Longman Grade 2 textbook.Says a lot for the standard of things.But this happens to be something way unexpected.

I am silver and exact. I have no preconceptions.
Whatever I see I swallow immediately
Just as it is, unmisted by love or dislike.
I am not cruel, only truthful -- The eye of a little god, four-cornered.
Most of the time I meditate on the opposite wall. It is pink, with speckles.
I have looked at it so long I think it is part of my heart. But it flickers.
Faces and darkness separate us over and over.

Now I am a lake.
A woman bends over me, Searching my reaches for what she really is.
Then she turns to those liars, the candles or the moon.
I see her back, and reflect it faithfully. She rewards me with tears and an agitation of hands.
I am important to her. She comes and goes.
Each morning it is her face that replaces the darkness.
In me she has drowned a young girl, and in me an old woman
Rises toward her day after day, like a terrible fish.


-Sylvia Plath



"............................Sylvia suffered from bouts of severe depression throughout her life. She had entered Smith College on a scholarship in 1950, but in the summer of 1953, after her return from a guest editorship at Mademoiselle magazine in New York, she experienced a severe episode of depression and was treated with a regimen of electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and, subsequently, at the beginning of her junior year, on August 24, 1953, she made the first of her suicide attempts. She was committed to a mental institution, and seemed to make an acceptable recovery, graduating from Smith in 1955, the same year she won the prestigious Glascock Prize competition for her poem "Two Lovers And A Beachcomber By The Sea." She later depicted her breakdown in her semi-autobiographical novel The Bell Jar."



The suicide attempts didn't stop.Know how she finally died?



By sticking her head in an oven.

4 comments:

Dish said...

*keeps on laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughing and laughin.. blah*





noice one!

Vasudha said...

I still don't get it...
head...in..an... oven??
Sheesh.

Nitya said...

Hmmmm. Maybe she was...umm...as hungry as I am :)!@????
*(((I go stick my head in the oven, eat like a dog, and then find I'm too fat to get out again....!!!!!!!!)))*
Well, can happen, if you look like some fat sardarnis in our school, for example.
And, If Slyvia Plath wrote that disgusting poem while she was fat, ugly and depressed, you can kinda understand why she wrote a sentimental, stupid , vela poem on a MIRROR right???
Coming Up: Soni Hai Toh Sikhni
Nitya doesn't fit into a bikini
-Nitya Plath Fat Sad

Vasudha said...

Nitya.
Chill.
You're obssessed.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com